Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Prayer Flags for My Daughter

Baby Girl Tedrow
I first came across prayer flags in Karen Michel's Flickr photo stream in 2009, and made a note to consider them. I view my daily art to be a form of prayer, and I knew I'd want to try this. The concept went onto the back burner to simmer.

In the meantime, I read about traditional Tibetan prayer flags, and love the idea of prayer and intent made tangible.

Fast forward to early 2012 and the March/April issue of Cloth Paper Scissors. One the cover - prayer flags, and inside, an article by Jane Lafazio about the Prayer Flag Project. That article was enough to prompt and inspire me. I started with a series of prayer flags for my daughter, Anna Rose.


When Anna Rose was born in 1988, I was sent home with a quilted cloth bag full of products. I used it as a "diaper bag" for some time.  Of course I've kept it all these years.

So when I decided to create a series of prayer flags for her, that bag was a perfect place to start.

The base of the flag is unprimed canvas. Over that, a flap of the bag material. At the top, contrasting material from the same bag and three pink fabric roses.

Under the flap, written onto the canvas with Sharpies, are the silent ongoing prayers for our daughters that hum in the background....grace, love, protection, joy, fun...the prayers which serve as topics for the next flags in the series.

2 comments:

libbyquilter said...

such a sweet flag and having a daughter myself (now 27) i completely understand the intense emotions and feelings that they inspire in us mothers.

your prayer flag "journey" sounds a lot like my own.

:-)
libbyQ

Kim Tedrow said...

Thank you Libby! It's good to hear from kindred spirits :) I will keep my eyes open for your flags, I would love to see them. -Kim