Saturday, December 08, 2007

In This House 4

I had a hard time calling this one "done." I kept wanting to add more collage elements to it, but that just didn't work.

When I was doing this piece, I was thinking about the bedroom I had in an apartment in Minneapolis. My apartment was part of the 2nd and 3rd floor of a renovated house. My bedroom was on the third floor, away from the rest of the apartment. There was a south facing skylight in the roof, and I positioned my futon directly across from the skylight, so I could watch the moon traverse the window. It had a magical effect on the room, it felt like a spiritual and austere place.

Although parts of my life were in turmoil, it was also one of the happiest times of my life. I had a gorgeous baby girl, I was in school (which I love), and I had this great place to live. I wasn't doing art at that time, that would come much later (although I did let my daughter paint on the walls....).

No comments: