Saturday, April 12, 2008

Celebrate the Body Nude Deck

Here is the card that I came up with for Red Dog's "Celebrate the Human Body" nude deck ("In This House" yahoo group). It was quite the multi-process project.

I started out with a background using Chrysti Hydeck's layered background technique as outlined in the July/August 2007 issue of Cloth Paper Scissors ("Get the Skinny on Mixed Media Books").

For the figure (and this took me a couple of tries...) I enlarged a nude from one of Tallulah's CDs and trimmed out the background. I then adhered it to an 8.5x11" sheet of plain paper, and brushed a couple of thin coats of gesso over it, until the details faintly showed through. I then re-did the shading and details with colored chalk pencils until I was happy with the look of it. I sealed it with matte finish, then scanned it and reduced it to fit into the 3 x 5" size of the card. I glued it to the background and added a few more "touches" with the chalk pencils.
I embellished it with tiny star sequins above her head. Over the entire piece, I laid a transparency of blue postcard script from Stampington & Co's free collage sheets (this one is an oldie) that I scanned, colorized blue in Photoshop, and laser printed onto a transparency. I tacked the transparency down at the corners with Diamond Glaze, and then did a zig-zag stitch to attach and embellish it. Below is a detail. I love how the stitches look on this.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Kim this is lovely! I am a late comer so am not doing this deck, but look forward to the next. Your lady is a beautiful girl. K

The Paris Salon said...

This is absolutely stunning. The blue is wonderful and the description of the altering of the image is so informative. I looked through other posts on your blog and am blown away!
Gaye