Monday, September 01, 2008

The Artist's Nook on August 2nd

Wow, not much time or inclination to blog lately, the art and writing has taken a back seat to some family health issues. But, in early August, I did manage to bring two worlds - Blythe and Art - together for a moment.

My friend Jody and I went to Fort Collins, CO the first weekend in August to do a workshop with Lynne Perrella. Lynne's ability to raise creative energy in a group is unrivaled, I think. It was held at the Artist's Nook, a wonderful art store and workshop space in Bellevue, just a few miles outside of Fort Collins. The store and workshop space are located in an old house on a lot filled with wonderful rusty things.

Lynne does a "roundabout" in her workshop, where we all introduce ourselves and talk about where we are on our creative journeys. When it came to be my turn I ended up blurting out that I was making doll clothes. For some reason folks found that interesting, so I talked a bit about Blythe, her history, and the sub-culture that's risen around her. I was pretty surprised. I feel a little sheepish about the whole thing, but it does have me thinking about what does an adult get from playing with dolls....there are a LOT of us!

I just *happened* to have my Blythe doll (Stella) with me on the trip for picture-taking, and Lynne agreed to allow me to take her picture with Stella. (Thank you!!!)
Stella and Lynne Perrella at the Artist's Nook in
Bellevue, Colorado on August 2nd, 2008.

Stella watches the History Channel in the hotel room.

No comments: