Monday, September 22, 2008

Paintover Technique for Vintage Image Madness

I spent my weekend working on calendar art for Vintage Image Madness.
I settled into working on the "paintover technique" as shared by Lisa Bebi in the Spring 2008 issue of Stampington's "Stampington Workshop," a technique I've long admired and have wanted to learn. It's addictive.

I wasn't completely happy with the first three pieces that I did (the red/orange/pink palette), but things seemed to come together when I switched to an "ocean" palette. Following are the results.

I found that the armhole of multiple sized toddler top patterns worked really well as a design element at the top of the page, you'll see these peeking through each piece. This is an idea I lifted directly from the magazine, although Bebi used the armhole pattern to suggest mountains in a background. Here, I just wanted a visual for the motion of the dancer.

One thing I did discover is that the acrylic paint is easier to work with using a drop or two of "glaze" (I used Golden's satin finish glaze) on the photograph parts. I like a dry brush look better for the background, which is especially evident in the blue/beige piece.




No comments: