Tuesday, November 25, 2008

GPP Crusade 25 - Gesso!

Time for me to jump in on another GPP Street Team challenge. This month's challenge is to play with gesso, always fun.

For the piece below, I coated a carved stamp with gesso and stamped it onto 90 lb watercolor paper. A happy accident happened when the gesso picked up the ink that was on the stamp from MONTHS ago. So I have a pinkish gesso rose.
I then layered two colors of acrylic paint and "wiped" it to reveal the gesso as a resist. The watercolor paper did not stand up well to my abuse, but it was an interesting exercise anyway.
Next (below), I coated a piece of watercolor paper with a thick layer of gesso, and then used another hand-carved stamp to *lift* gesso from the page. I then applied a layer of neon pink paint and wiped again to reveal the indents that the stamp made on the surface.
I applied another color, doing the same, then let it dry. Then I took the same stamp and stamped with gesso over the background, so the same design element was showing up as both an "indent" and a resist.
Below I painted some circles and lines, then brushed a layer of gesso over it, spritzed with water, and wiped.
Below, I did the "lift-the-gesso-with-the-stamp" thing (lower) and the gesso as a resist (upper), but instead of using acrylic paint I used Windsor & Newton scarlet india ink as a wash, then wiped. I didn't get the contrast I got with the acrylic paint on the lower one, so on the upper one I mixed the ink and acrylic paint and got a better result. Maybe the low-contrast one is interesting anyway :)
An itty-bitty party dress just for fun.

14 comments:

marciglenn said...

Kim - these papers are wonderful. I love the rose! Great art!!

michelle ward said...

hey stranger! thanks for coming to play kim. you've got some great examples of why we love gesso. i love that you pointed you the color *lift* from old ink on the stamp. serendipity leads to magic. all are fab! happy t-day.

Megan Warren said...

Hi Kim, I really like the rose, some great ideas - I'll have to try them.

LostLuggage said...

WOW These all came out really beautiful!!

PLO said...

Great post! The Rose is amazing, I would love to see some journaling around it! Does that party dress come in my size?

AztecMichelle said...

Great pieces. What size is that rose stamp? It looks huge. It's great how the colour was added from the stamp.

Michelle Brown
Melbourne Australia

LaY hOoN said...

Thanks for sharing so many techniques here. All is come out so beautifully.

Chris said...

no fair! i don't have an itty bitty party dress this cute!!

I am learning so many new things to do with gesso. I want to try the 'lift' technique. It looks really good.

Thanks!

belle2create said...

Hi Kim
That lifting technique looks fun with the neon pink! The rose is what you can call a VERY HAPPY *acccident*. Thanks for sharing!
Hedwig

Becky New said...

whoooaaa... i totally LOVE that pink gesso rose with the oranges. sweet! sounds to me like you have invented pink gesso! sell it! lol!

Robin said...

Wow, you tried everything! These are just delicious papers. Will you sew them up into a journal maybe?

KathrynAntyr said...

What a great variety you have here. I love that little party dress.

JeriAnn said...

I love what you've achieved here. And you can add me to the list of rose admirers. It's the happy accidents that really make art fun, don't you think?

carlene federer said...

Very cool examples, I never got a chance to do that Crusade, think I'll give a try now!
LOOOVE that gesso rose!