Friday, January 22, 2010

GPP Street Team Crusade 36

I just finished a six-piece project that took me nearly a month to complete.  So it's play time.  What better way to play than to join in on one of Michelle Ward's "Street Team" Crusades.


This month's crusade is "Braving the Elements," in which you use  material close at hand to cut paper snowflakes and create a two-page journal spread in an hour or less.

I will confess that I'm not good about using an art journal - I get how it's useful and interesting, I just only do it rarely. And I will almost never do anything in an hour or less, I putz and fuss and evaluate and start over and overwork it until I either abandon it or get it "right."

This time, however, I actually Followed Directions, did it in my journal, and in less than an hour. If Michelle gave gold stars, I'd get one.

I created a splotchy background - this is one of my favorite techniques - a layer of paint and then "splotch it out" with a spray of water.

After another layer of dry-brushed paint in a different color, I began using the cut-out snowflakes as a mask.  I chose reds and oranges because I'm craving HEAT.

I finished the spread with the snowflake masks added as elements.  I tore up the larger snowflake and used it in pieces.


And a detail shot.

11 comments:

michelle ward said...

Hey Kim! Nice to see you again! I am cracking up that you did snowflakes with *heat* colors. It works! I love that last detail shot. Awesome. *Gold Star* for finishing in an hour....and for taking on the assignment to *play* after a long project. Bravo!! Thanks for coming back to our sandbox to play.

Julie said...

I'm craving heat too...and your orange flakes do the trick! Pretty pages!

Sarah Anderson said...

Love these colours :) And I love that you used the snowflake images with them...so fab!

teri said...

Kim I love the hot colors you used for the snowflakes. I'm dying to journal on your pages!

cathsheard said...

And a huge gold star from me too; good on you for just going with it. I love the hot colors you have used, they look great.

Dawn said...

i agree! GREAT colors.

Marilyn said...

Love your snowflakes! I love the color as I too am craving some heat -- and I live in Southern California. LOL

Liz Ness said...

Beautiful! LOVE the colors so much!

Regina said...

Gorgeous! Love the hot colors.

iHanna said...

Kim, your paint splotching is really visible and beautiful, I love that effect and just tried it for the first time this crusade. Great pages, thanks for sharing your process with us!

Michelle said...

Nice and spicy - the warm colours work really well.