Friday, October 01, 2010

GPP Street Team Challenge Number 44 redux

The September challenge to the Green Pepper Press Street Team was "In a Scrape," in which we were to create a multi-colored background using nothing but scraping tools...no brushes. The first attempt I did in my journal, you can see it here.  

But when my "art group" decided to hold a "True Colors" round robin, I knew it was the perfect technique with which to introduce the colors for my book. I chose a palette of blues, greens, and yellows.

I first treated the spread (in an old book) with a couple of thick coats of gesso. Then I blobbed and spread (with a palette knife) a couple of shades of yellow on the bottom part of the page.
That was followed by a couple of shades of blue at the top of the page.
I then did the same with shades of green in the middle.  I let the first layer dry overnight (it was pretty thick with paint), and when I saw it the next day I felt that it was a bit on the dark side.  
So I  repeated the process with brighter, more saturated colors, and scraped those over the first layer with an old gift card. I then went to my local hardware store and grabbed a bunch of paint chips in my chosen colors, and sliced and glued them onto one side of the spread.  I coated the entire thing with a layer of Modge Podge which acted as a varnish and sharpened the texture and color.

2 comments:

michelle ward said...

Kim - what a great spread! Love the thick layers of paint - and your choice of colors. Amazing tranformation from the first day to the next. Never could have been done when wet, so bravo for stepping away to let it dry. The paint chips are a clever addition.
Thanks for sharing with the team, and good luck with your round robin.

Can I suggest something? The Modge Podge layer may have given you the desired finish but eventually the pages will stick to one another. To avoid hearbreak, place a sheet of wax paper between the pages. OR There is another clear layer that can be painted over the Modge Podge - Delta Acrylic Varnish (in matter or gloss, found in Michaels in the paint aisle).

Robinsunne said...

OH! My! How lucious. This is great.