Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Prayer Flag: Grace

I originally named Anna after my first American Grandmother, Hannah Larrison. Hannah was also the name of my maternal great-great grandmother. Beyond that, I didn't think about the meaning and history of the name.

Fast forward several years, and I'm married, on the East Coast, and I'm consciously seeking "grace" in my life. I was at the computer and putting in "grace" as a search term in a dictionary, looking for an idea or a symbol to connect to the concept.

Anna, who was about four and was hanging out with her step-dad, bounded into the room with a comment or question. I don't remember the specifics.

What I do remember is that, after she bounded on out of the room, I typed her name into the computer.

The meaning of the name Anna?  Grandmother of God, Grace.

For this flag, I was drawn to vintage lace in its various shades of white. I layered fabric swatches and lace up the length of the flag. At the top, I placed the focal point of a fabric statement necklace I had made from white fabric scraps, faux pearls, and rhinestone with a fabric flower in the center. I stamped "grace" onto a scrap of canvas and placed it at the top.

5 comments:

kelly madigan said...

these are beautiful. i love the photo at the top showing many of them side-by-side.

Lenna Young Andrews said...

Kim, I love your flags, especially this one. I also like reading the story behind it, thank you! What a beautiful new header you have. You are inspiring me with your flags!

Kim Tedrow said...

Thank you Kelly and Lenna! I would love to see what either of you could do with prayer flags...

libbyquilter said...

love the vintage look of this flag.
it is clearly grace infused~!

:-)
libbyQ

Sandra said...

Beautiful!